Friday, June 5, 2020

Dear Students




Dear students
It is harder than ever to be away
There are so many things I wish I could say
There are so many moments I wish I had cherished
This is not the school year we planned

But still
You rose to the occasion
You did the work with patience, persistence, inquiry

I miss your faces
I miss your "Bonjours" in the hallway
I miss your coats in the lockers
I miss your telling me the latest songs, shows, artists

I hope for a better world
I pledge to fight for you
You all deserve it 
You deserve better

This isn't goodbye
It's only au revoir for now 

5 comments:

  1. Nice to meet you, MSheehan! All of us teachers are vibrating with sorrow, not only to say au revoir for now but for all that we should have said at any time in our careers and could not, did not. I pledge along with you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Welcome to Poetry Friday. I imagine you'll read other's posts that also say goodbye. These are heartfelt words you're giving to your students. I'm a former teacher & imagine it is so hard to have taught "away" from your class these past months. Your students will feel hugged by this poem.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Welcome to Poetry Friday! Who, in their wildest imaginings, could have predicted the past 12 weeks? "This is not the school year we planned." My heart hurts for students everywhere who "deserve better."

    ReplyDelete
  4. This line, "There are so many moments I wish I had cherished" hits me so hard. I have vowed not to take the small moments for granted.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a lovely and bittersweet au revoir poem. Hugs to you and all the teachers feeling this way.

    ReplyDelete